February 20, 2008

FRG Success Story!

Over the years I have heard way to many negative stories re: unit Family Readiness Groups. My goal for starting this blog was to help me and others to focus on the positive aspects of FRGs. Every group is different, but each should be a positive outlet for family members, especially during times of deployment.

I think I've just found a shining example of what an FRG should be like. I don't know that I could run a group to be this wonderful. I couldn't do it alone, but I could work with a team of great volunteers. This is my goal.

Family Readiness Group Part of Unit’s Success: Returning soldiers and their families praise their Family Readiness Group for support provided during the troops' deployment.

By U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Derrick Witherspoon
7th Army Reserve Command BAMBERG, Germany, March 14, 2005

The Army Reserve’s ability to train, maintain and sustain itself is crucial to its success during military operations, such as Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom, but just as crucial to its success is a well established Family Readiness Group.

The consensus among a group of returning soldiers and their families is that the Army Reserve’s 1st Infantry Division Detachment Rear Operation Center’s Family Readiness Group is a prime example of how a family support group can contribute to a successful mission. The Center's Family Readiness Group not only made sure that the unit family members were taken care of, but also tended to the needs of their soldiers in Iraq.

Now that the unit has returned after being mobilized for 366 days, the soldiers cannot praise the Family Readiness Group enough for the job they did while they were supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

“This unit has one of the best [Family Readiness Group] I’ve ever seen,” said Master Sgt. Andre Paige of the1st Infantry Division Detachment Rear Operation Center. “They sent out newsletters, packages, e-mails, you know, stuff for everybody. The biggest thing was they kept us informed on what was going on with our families, which helped put a lot of our minds at rest so we could concentrate on our mission.”

"Thankfully we had a strong Family Readiness Group that communicated with us and kept us informed. It was wonderful how everyone stayed in contact with each other, no matter how far away you lived,” Army spouse DeLeslie N. Lowenthal

READ MORE HERE

1 comments:

Mandie said...

Hi there! You stopped at my blog and commented so i wanted to return the favor. It's so nice to see someone actually involved in a good FRG. The one for my husbands unit is far from great, but I give the ladies a great deal of credit as they really do try. I was a volunteer for our group until just recently as my work demands as well as familial issues have taken precidence over all others. Good luck on the success of your blog! I'll be back to visit again soon!

Mandie
www.armywifeismylife.blogspot.com